Sunday, November 14, 2010

culture

The opera season is over and the final opera in my subscription was The Makropolus Case. I was thinking how great it was that I was getting to see all the best loved/most produced operas and I wasn't sure that I would really love Makropolus Case. In fact it was a really good thing that I had a ticket already because i wouldn't have ventured out if i hadn't already ponied up for the ticket. I can't believe that i almost didn't go. I think it was my favourite opera of the season. It was such a great design, great singing, crazy plot, interesting themes... And Karita Mattila is a SUPER STAR!!! ( i will try to find some video to link here so you can see what she is all about)
It was opening night for MC and there were a fair number of empty seats. I took advantage of this and for the second half gradually made my way down to the bottom of the balcony. I can see why people value sitting closer- it really does make a HUGE difference!!


Yesterday our family went for a walk in the afternoon. It was a "game day" (Cal football- Go Bears!!) and there were lots of people around the neighbourhood. I wanted to show my family the new place I discovered to go walking. I found a place to walk in the woods away from cars and on the REAL DIRT!! It is just minutes from our house. It is also the hill that is above the Cal Football Stadium. Others were walking there too as it gives non-ticket holders a little peek-a-boo view of the game. We decided to join in the "culture". As well as hearing/seeing the band and the huge and loud crowd, we got to experience firsthand the hillside cannon firing. Perhaps not the best for our ears. . .  :(  We didn't last too long. The sunset was SPECTACULAR when we were heading home. i just wish i had a little carry-everywhere camera. i think i might get one this week...

Today I went to Sacramento (1.5 hour drive each way) to see a friend I met at Banff in 2002. She is in the ensemble of the touring production of Broadway's In the Heights. It was great to catch up with her and to see the musical. It was also interesting to see Sacramento and to go on this adventure by myself. The GPS continues to save the day.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I'm so glad you got to see quite a few productions of SFO this fall Phoebsie. It sounds wonderful. And I think we'll have to check out that woodsy walk when Dad and I come visiting next month.

panospappas said...

I am glad the GPS is still providing bang for its buck